24 January 2009

SAPL 23 Things: Cosa Numero 7

Ah, technology. When I was 12, I was the family expert on recording TV and movies onto VHS. I'd bring my small stereo close to the TV speaker and record my favorite Disney songs onto a cassette tape, which I'd then slaughter by playing too often.

Now, I can listen to the "Stuff You Missed in History Class" podcast on my Bluetooth headphones and cell while I cook. I can watch a DVD on my laptop as I go to sleep. I can check my email on my phone, even if I'm driving through desolate New Mexico. Life is beautiful.

It seems like every year brings something new, you know? I've only had email for 10 years now but I can't imagine life without it. I've only had a CD burner for 5 but it's been wicked. I've only had a portable mp3 player for 1 but it keeps me happy on the bus without too much fuss.

And this is where you might go, "You've only had a portable mp3 player for one year?" Well, yeah. I couldn't afford one. I felt really out of the loop for years because it was the type of technology everyone wanted, and usually had, but I didn't. I remember what elementary school was like when everyone had L.A. Gear tennis shoes but my parents couldn't buy me any.

So while technology connects, it also divides.