22 March 2009

YA Lit:: 999 Reading Challenge Part Quatre

It's only been a couple of weeks or so since my last update but I want to *slay* this challenge. The more I think about it, the more likely I am to, you know, do it. The more I post about it... you get the point.

Plus, I'm beginning to see the dangers of the list I created, in terms of overlapping. Technically I've read graphic novels (category 3) that are also award-winners (category 2). Some non-fiction books (category 8) are books I never thought I'd read (category 9). Does that mean each book can only apply to one category, or shall I apply some cheating rules here?

Would that make me a naughty librarian?

As usual, new entries are in italics.
  • 9 teen books with multicultural characters
    ~The Possibilities of Sainthood by Donna Freitas
  • 9 teen award-winners
    ~Japan Ai: A Tall Girl's Adventures in Japan by Aimee Major Steinberger
    [YALSA's 2009 Great Graphic Novels for Teens]
  • 9 graphic novels (non-manga)
    ~The Plain Janes by Cecil Castellucci
    ~Janes in Love by Cecil Castellucci
    ~Skim by Mariko Tamaki
    ~Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore
    ~Watchmen by Alan Moore
    ~Awkward and Definition by Ariel Schrag
  • 9 blogs
    ~YALSA blog
    ~The YA YA YAs

  • 9 webcomics*
  • 9 Overdrive audiobooks
    ~Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
    ~Something Rotten by Alan M. Gratz
    ~The Rules of Survival by Nancy Werlin
  • 9 picture books
    ~Dad Runs Away with the Circus by Etgar Keret
    ~Chester by Melanie Watt
    ~Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt
    ~A Visitor for Bear by Bonny Becker

    ~Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel
    ~The Cat's Tale by Doris Orgel
    ~When Randolph Turned Rotten by Charise Mericle Harper
  • 9 non-fiction books
    ~Obama: The Historic Journey by The New York Times
  • 9 titles I never thought I'd read
    ~The Coffee Trader by David Liss
* So I put webcomics on here to kind of kick start me into the regular perusal of such jewels. Well, it hasn't worked. I love webcomics but they don't keep my interest over a period of time. I'll tell you what I *do* enjoy, though. Podcasts. Next time, I think I'll have a new category: "webcomics and podcasts." Why the hell not?

And to welcome my podcast category, voila! Here's a comic by Greg Williams of the Tampa Tribune doing a pretty amazing job of capturing the essence of Chuck and Josh of the How Stuff Works podcast.

Ha!