11 May 2008

Spotted!:: Twilight movie trailer


For those of you Twihard peeps out there... It's here. Kinda. Sorta.

By "it" I mean, the teaser trailer. And yes, it does tease. And entice.

I'm going to save the "I actually envisioned it like this" comments because there's no point. The good definitely outweighs the "eh" here. This looks like it's going to be very, very exciting.

I... am having a hard time... waiting for this one...
Can't wait!

...

...

...

Okay, I lied. I am going to go into a discussion here, though not the kind you're probably expecting.

Like many of you, I became enamored with the idea of Henry Cavill and Emily Browning playing Edward and Bella. This was back when Stephenie was fantasizing about which actors would bring life to her characters. Then they cast Kristen Stewart. Then Robert Pattinson. At first, I thought, "Okay. I guess." Now, seeing the trailer, I can see Kristen as Bella. She was never described as beautiful. In fact, that's her appeal. She's supposed to be normal. Attractive in her own way but still, just a girl. (A winning option, because it makes the average reader feel like, "This could happen to me!" A romantic notion indeed.)

But I couldn't see Robert as Edward. Why? Because of the many descriptions of Edward's "perfect face" and allusions to his godly physique. And as I watched the trailer, I kept thinking, "His lips aren't full enough."

Then I snapped myself out of it. What am I, sixteen and on the prowl for a pretty face to idolize? Why does it all have to be so beautiful? These characters are about more than just their appearance. Yes, we all had specific images in our minds as we read the books which may not match with the reality of this film. But come on! It's silly to write Robert off as not worthy of Edward without really seeing what he can do with the character. He totally had that Edward playfulness in that last scene of the trailer. And I'd much rather see individuals who can really act, as opposed to really cute teens with the acting ability of a chipmunk (sorry, Emma Watson).

So what did I learn here? Keep an open mind and let yourself get excited. That's not so hard. The more I watch this trailer, the more...

*swoon*